I needed something quick to make as a snack for the kids (and us), my orignal idea failed when I realised I was out of cocoa. So caramel popcorn it was. I usually just eyeball the ingredients since I was going to post it on here for the world to see decided it was best to actually measure things.
Large bowl of already popped popcorn.
125g (1/2C) Butter
2 Tablespoons Honey
1/2 C Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, honey and sugar
- Stir over a low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved
- Bring to a boil
- Continue stirring for a further 3mins
- Add baking soda and stir quickly (it will froth up)
- Pour over popcorn and stir to coat evenly
Tips and Tricks
- To tell if the caramel is ready drop some into a glass of really cold water. If the drops form into little balls you're good to go.
- Keep a close eye on the caramel while cooking as it can burn easily
- Roll into balls, wrap in clear plastic and add a ribbon for an easy gift
- If you aren't going to eat it straight away, allow to cool then transfer to an airtight container